This blog is a companion to the Database of Volunteers of Essendon and Flemington

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Trove is a Winner!

I'm loving a new entry into the digitised newspapers on Trove - a Melbourne-based sports newspaper called Winner.  I have never heard of it before, but it turns out to be a treasure trove indeed of material about enlisted sportsman.  For example, Lieutenant Alfred John May, of the Essendon Harriers, who appears to have been running Essendon's war handed single-handedly until his enlistment in 1916. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent Lenore, I was not aware of this one. Just found reference to a couple of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beauty - and the stories are often accompanied by a photo, and a little bit of their sporting history. I'm finding huge amounts for my project. Some newspapers have very innocuous names, and they are not very well known. I don't know how long it was there, but an image appeared one day on the front end of the newspaper section of Trove.

    ReplyDelete