|St Thomas' Grammar School Cadets, circa 1910, taken by Ruth Hollick. Courtesy of the State Library of Victoria Collection. H2004.61/235|
The large dead River Red Gum covered in ivy in the background towards the right of the photo was the "Burke & Wills Tree", which stood on Mt Alexander Rd near the Moonee Ponds Bowls Club, Queen's Park. Many of the boys in this photo would join the 1st AIF a few years later. The Roll of Honour of the St Thomas' Grammar Boys, and the Carlton College boys (which had merged with St Thomas' Grammar) is now located in the Junior School of Penleigh and Essendon Grammar School. The names of those who served can be found on the Empire Called website.
The Burke and Wills tree marked the site of the first camping spot of the expedition after it left Royal Park in 1860.